Friday, January 23, 2009

Special Delivery


A new bedtime routine between my oldest son and I has developed ever since he found out a third baby is on the way. He is fascinated by the story of not only his birth, but that of his younger brother. He requests it every night. Leaving out all the gory details, I tell him that he arrived into this world very peacefully, with a serene look on his face, eyes wide open and silent as a mouse. His brother on the other hand came out screaming due to a broken collar bone.
Well , tonight was a little different, the story was told and in addition he wanted to know the names of all the doctors involved. When I told him Dr. Coury would be 'delivering' our new baby he asked, "Like in the mail box?"
Oh, that it where so simple. I've been thinking of simplicity a lot lately. As I mentioned before my goal for this month is to overcome worldliness. I won't preach or rant about the reasoning behind it but here are a few things I've started doing to keep the world out.
  • Morning meditation, prayer, scripture study. It keeps me grounded and focused on what's really important.
  • No TV till 3. We spend our mornings playing, learning and interacting, instead of watching marketed cartoons and manipulative commercials. My sister-in-law goes so far as to mute commercials when the TV is on. I love the idea, but haven't quite perfected it.
  • Creating vs. Consuming. I'm deliberately looking for things to create, or recreate instead of looking for things to buy. I hope to post some of these in the future.
My own special delivery arrived today in our mailbox. A copy of The Simple Living Guide by Janet Luhrs. I've checked it out from the library at least once a year for the past four years and finally decided to buy it. I highly recomend it to anyone who is looking for ways to cut back, simplify and live life more deliberately.

Simply,